Back to Top
Residential Services

Residential Hazardous Waste Service

Mill Valley Refuse Service provides residential customers free, curbside pickup of approved hazardous wastes. 

There is no limit on the number of times you may use this service during the year. You must call our office in advance at (415) 457-9760 to schedule the pickup of your household hazardous waste, but it need not be on the same day as your regular garbage day.

Commercial or apartment customers, please go here for Hazardous Waste information.

Hazardous Waste We Will Pickup

We will pick up the following approved household hazardous wastes from our residential customers. Call our office at (415) 457-9760 to schedule a pick up.

  • Household batteries (No car batteries. Batteries should be packaged in paper or ziplock plastic bags.)
  • Latex paint (Paint must be sealed in containers with original labels. Limit is three one-gallon cans on any one pickup.)
  • Motor oil (Limit is three one-gallon cans on any one pickup.)
  • Oil filters
  • Fluorescent light bulbs (Under 4 feet in length only.)
  • Non-empty aerosol cans (Okay to put empty ones in your Container Cart.)
  • Computers and computer monitors
  • Televisions (There will be a charge only for larger TV’s that require two men to lift.)
  • Microwave Ovens
Hazardous Waste We Accept
Sharps (syringes) are not collected curbside

No Medical Waste or Sharps

Mill Valley Refuse Service does not collect medical waste of any kind.

The Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility will accept a limited number of sharps in designated sharps containers from Marin County residents.

To properly dispose of prescription drugs, sharps, etc. in Marin, please refer to information on the County of Marin’s website or call Marin County Environmental Health Services at (415) 473-6907.

Free Drop-Off Site

Marin residents may drop off household hazardous waste at the Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility in San Rafael free of charge. Some amount limitations per trip may apply and a photo ID is required to verify where you live. Residents may go at any time during regular business hours.

To view a complete list of accepted hazardous waste, visit their website at

Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility 
565 Jacoby Street, San Rafael
Open: Tues – Sat., 8 am to 3:30 pm
Residential line: (415) 485-6806
Business line: (415) 485-5648

What Goes Where Tool

What Goes Where?

Not sure how to properly dispose of something? Search our What Goes Where tool to find out if a material can be reused, recycled, composted, or disposed of in your trash.

Tip: This tool works best if you search for categories instead of a brand name or very particular product. For instance, rather than “Coffee-mate container” search instead for “plastic beverage bottle.” Instead of “cottage cheese container” search instead for “plastic tub.”